Our Data team
At Yolt, data plays a key role in driving smart product features and supporting decision-making. Therefore, we have a dedicated Data Platform team providing a secure self-service AWS cloud infrastructure (Glue, SageMaker, Athena, QuickSight) to democratize data analytics. Furthermore, a cross-functional Machine Learning (ML) Engineering team, with ML Engineers and Data Engineers, develops and operates a set of prediction services (Scala, Kubernetes, Kafka, Cassandra, Python, Airflow).
These services are embedded in a streaming microservice landscape (check out this J-Fall talk about microservices at Yolt) and power the core of Yolt with transaction enrichment (e.g. categorization, merchants, subscriptions) and smart money recommendations.
What you’ll be doing
As the Chapter Lead Data Engineering, you are responsible for the data engineering capabilities at Yolt. You handle the performance management of the Data Engineers and Data Platform Engineers, acting as their coach and mentor to help them reach their full potential. You unite them through a cross-team chapter (growing to 8FTE), where you foster a culture of knowledge sharing and continuous learning, and tackle cross-cutting concerns. Moreover, you play an important role in creating talent development paths and the recruitment of new colleagues.
You are both the internal and external face of data engineering at Yolt. By proactively engaging with the business, you promote a data-centric culture within Yolt. In addition, you are regularly present at meetups and conferences, acting as a thought leader in the field and building a network. Together with the leadership team, you take responsibility for the Data & AI strategy, influencing the tech roadmap, organization, processes, and overall vision. You have the knowledge and courage to make major technological decisions because you keep abreast of the latest developments in the field and reserve time for exploring new technologies and frameworks (open source or vendor). As Chapter Lead Data Engineering, you closely interact with ML Engineers and Decision Scientists (Data Science Chapter), making sure they can leverage data for research or ML applications.
To stay in touch with operations, you work hands-on with the other Data Engineers and Data Platform Engineers on a day-to-day basis. Building on your extensive experience with software engineering and modern data architectures, you play a key role in refining epics. Furthermore, by managing the execution together with the Product Owner, you ensure Yolt has the appropriate solutions in place to be data-driven.
What you'll need
- A proven track record in the field of data engineering
- Elaborate experience with data governance in a flexible unstructured data environment
- Experience with developing people through coaching or mentoring
- Advanced knowledge in data processing and storage
- Strong skills in software development within the data domain (Scala & Spark)
- Experience with using AWS, Kubernetes, and Cassandra is a pré
- A master’s degree or Ph.D. in a computer science or statistics
- Skills to coach other data wizards
- Interest to stay up-to-date on relevant new developments
- Proficient English speaking and writing skills
- Good social and communication skills
- Experience in Agile/scrum working
What you need to know about us
You'll join an enthusiastic team of people based in our offices in Amsterdam, London, and Katowice, who are all committed to unlocking the potential of open banking.
With trusted origins from a large multinational bank, ING Bank N.V, we started our journey in 2016 with the launch of the Yolt app. We don’t like to brag, but we’re proud of the fact we’re leveraging the power unleashed by PSD2 and open banking to deliver the most innovative open banking products out there.
The Yolt app won the Best Personal Finance App of the Year at The Payment Awards 2019 and Best Money Management App at the same awards in 2020. The app was also awarded Best Mobile Initiative at The Banking Tech Awards 2020. After having built the amazing technology behind our app we embarked on a mission to help other businesses leverage the power of open banking. That’s why we founded YTS in 2019, having worked hand-in-hand with the Open Banking Implementation Entity to launch Open Banking in the UK, we truly are the experts in our field.
- Flexible hours
- Amazing future potential as we continue to scale and grow
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Inspiring, entrepreneurial environment with an ambitious vision for the future
- Supporting, fun-loving team of highly skilled people
- A challenging job within a future-forward Fintech committed to creating a movement of positive disruption with trusted origins from ING, one of the most innovative banking organizations