We created Yolt because we are committed to provide a fun and efficient way to manage your money. We're on our way, and we'd love to have you involved. We work hard, fast and never forget to celebrate our successes.
About the team
You'll join a small, dedicated team of highly skilled people who are part of a scale-up, named Yolt, endorsed by ING aimed at creating an easy and enjoyable way to manage your money in one mobile app. The app is live in the UK market and recently live in France and Italy as well.
The team operates in a unique space on the boundaries of a large multinational bank with an entrepreneurial attitude of a start-up. Recently Yolt was awarded the most innovative java project by NLJUG (Dutch java user group). In order to support our vision we are looking for a Head of engineering with a strong technical background.
What you'll be doing as Head of Engineering:
The Head of Engineering is the right hand to the CTO. The role requires a mix between hands-on engineering, people management and leadership. You are a proficient engineer with skills in Java and Spring Boot and for some of your time you will work in one of the teams and contribute to the services within the domain of that team.
Furthermore, you have experience as an engineering manager with >3 years of experience managing (cross functional) teams and building scalable distributed systems. In this role you will be responsible for 4 teams with a total of approx. 30 people. This includes the back-end engineers; focusing primarily on a stack with Java micro services, Spring Boot, Kafka and Cassandra, and the front-end engineers; who are developing native apps in Kotlin and Swift. It’s a preference if you have experience building native apps or if you have worked in cross-functional app teams before.
In the role you will determine the IT priorities for your domain and contribute to the overall IT strategy. You are involved in key “make vs buy” decisions and you seek and maintain partnerships with other parties. You regularly align with your business counterpart, with PO’s and the CTO. Furthermore as we are still growing rapidly, you are key in the hire of new talent, their coaching and performance evaluation.
The role might require some travel, as you might be involved in design discussions with architects and engineers abroad.
What we're looking for in our Head of Engineering:
- BsC/MSc in Computer Science or comparable
- Strong skills in software development and experience in design and development of complex systems
- 5+ years of software engineering experience (preferably Java and Spring Boot)
- 3+ years of experience as a software manager
- Knowledge of design patterns and experience on when to apply them
- Knowledge of Micro services, Cassandra and Kafka
- English speaking and writing skills
- Good social and communication skills
- Experience in Agile / scrum
- You are familiar with continuous Integration tools on the back-end and front-end
- You have experience with AWS services
What's in it for you:
- A full time position (40 hrs) with flexible hours
- Competitive salary + benefits
- A most inspiring and entrepreneurial environment
- A challenging job within one of the most distinctive fintech’s in Europe
- Lots of room for growth in your role, as we continue to grow Yolt
- Strong engineering culture in an international, fast-paced work environment